2008.075


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



So last night was poker tournament night. I was nervous as these are people I work with. I figured I'd enter to show support for their fundraising efforts. The only thing I didn't want to do was go out first. There were about 58 people playing, $80 buy-in. I was told by a friend to fold the first hand but I couldn't do that since I was the big blind. I lost it anyway.

To get to the nitty gritty a lot of these people play every week for money. I play occasionally on FTP and watch poker after dark when I can't sleep. But playing at a table for money is much, much different.

And guys playing poker is one big penis contest without a ruler to take measurements.

There were about 4 girls in the tournament and the rest were men.

To make a long story short, I came in second and won over $700. I can't freakin' believe it. I just concentrated on my hand, practiced patience, folded when I had to and played aggressive when I had nice cards. The river saved me countless times but it also ultimately cost me first place. I go from thinking, "FUCK I SHOULD HAVE WON THIS TOURNAMENT" to "I had no business being at the final table." When it was down to 8 players, I kept thinking, if I make it to final five I at least get my money back. Then it went to, I could double my money to "Ho-lee fuck I'm freakin' nervous." And that's what I have to reign in for future tournaments - if I enter. To block out the audience. Because at the end of the night EVERYONE was standing around watching and looking and getting excited. Plus I was a bit drunk. If I didn't have the last two drinks, I probably would have played smarter.

Last week a couple of friends and I went for lunch and I paid for it. They were hosting the tournament and the bar so they kept giving me free drinks. And it was more rum than coke in them so I was really buzzed when it was final two. I wouldn't have gone all in on a couple of hands if I was completely sober.

It was a lot of fun though. After the tournament was over, I gave my envelope full of cash to a friend who hid it in her car and we hopped in another vehicle and went to some bar and drank some more and danced. Everyone kept coming up to me and congratulating me on my game play. One guy I hadn't seen in about 10 years. He said, "So this is what you've been up to since the last time I saw you. You socked yourself away and became a poker master."

Looks like all my analyzing and over-analyzing everything to death is finally being used for good.

Now I'm going to take a nap. Because I'm still so fuckin' tired.

Labels: , ,

|

About me

  • Grace
  • British Columbia, Canada
  • jealous, insecure,narcissistic, paranoid, and delusional
  • My profile

ATOM 0.3




Grace 2006
Background courtesy RyeGuy
eXTReMe Tracker